Monday, November 22, 2010

30 day challenge


This past Friday I signed up for a 30 day Bikram Yoga challenge. In case you were wondering, Bikram Yoga is a 26 posture sequence developed from Hatha Yoga that lasts 90 minutes and is performed in a special studio heated to 105 degrees Fahrenheit (otherwise known affectionally as a "Torture Chamber").

Now you should know that until 4 days ago, I hadn't worked out in over a month, am still recovering from a sprained ankle, can barely touch my toes and had only tried Bikram Yoga a handful of times years ago to less than satisfying results (read: I was not a fan).

I'm not sure why exactly I decided to do it. Going into day 4 I am sore and tired. Classes leave me feeling broken and frustrated, not to mention overheated. (Holy mother of pearl I never thought I'd long for the cold Irish weather as I do when I'm in the middle of a class!). And yet despite it all, there is a constant whisper somewhere deep in my soul that says "You can do this! Keep going!".

Have you ever had those days (or weeks) where you feel unmotivated, lazy and a bit of a waste of space? This has been me of late and I've been having a hard time shaking it. Maybe it's the weather, maybe not....I just hate how often I seem to feel as though I haven't accomplished anything, been creative, seized the moment, etc. I think this challenge if nothing else, will force me to take matters into my own hands. To be productive, face my own shortcomings and prove to no one but myself that I can succeed once I stop standing in my own way.  Because let's be honest, that's what Bikram Yoga is - a hot sweaty 90 minute meditative practice.


It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.


-Seneca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for showing some love :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...